How to disable Safari suggestions?
A new feature has been added to the Safari browser called “Safari suggestions”. The feature is available on macOS as well as iOS platforms. It helps users to find what they are searching for quicker by showing predictions in the drop down list. When the feature is enabled, it shows previews of iTunes media content, App Store programs, Wikipedia articles, weather forecasts, news, sports results, and more. Although it could be useful for some users, it has been reported that the feature often functions inaccurately, takes much more time to load than the similar words and phrases suggestions feature, and even negatively affects the browser’s performance.
Luckily, it is not at all difficult to disable Safari suggestions and if you find it unnecessary, you can certainly do that. There is no reason to get rid of it unless it causes you some sort of disturbance, however, as it all depends on how you browse the Web and what functions are relevant to you as a user.
How to disable Safari suggestions on Mac
You can easily disable Safari suggestions on Mac, if you decide that they are of no use to you.
- First, you need to launch the browser and click on the menu bar at the top right corner of the screen.
- Here, you should select Preferences and go to the Search tab. On the Search tab, you will find different functions like “Include search engine suggestions”, “Enable Quick Website search”, “Show Favorites”, and more.
- Select “Smart Search Field” and un-tick the “Include Safari Suggestions” box.
If you do not wish to see any suggestions when searching for something online, you should also remove the tick from “Include search engine suggestions” box. Once you have made your changes, you can close the Preferences as all the modifications will be saved automatically. To make sure that you have actually disabled the feature, you can try searching for something online and see if any interactive content suggestions appear on your screen.
How to disable Safari suggestions on iPhones and iPods
If you wish to disable Safari suggestions on your iOS device, you can do that without much trouble as well.
- First, you should go to your device’s Settings and look for Safari.
- Tap on Safari to open Preferences and find the Search category. In this category, you will find various Mac Safari function options including “Search Engine Suggestions”, “Quick Website Search”, “Preload Top Hit”, and “Safari Suggestions“.
- In order to disable the suggestions, you should toggle off Safari Suggestions.
If you wish to disable other features, you can do that in the same way as well. Keep in mind, however, that if you disable Search Engine Suggestions, the auto-complete function on all your search queries will be turned off. Once you are done with the changes, you can exit Settings and they will be saved automatically just like in the Safari browser. To make sure that you actually have disabled the suggestions feature, you can try typing a search query into the URL bar and see if any suggestions appear. If they do not, it means that you have disabled the unwanted feature successfully.