Kaspersky MAC Antivirus
While Macs are less likely to become infected with malware than Windows, they aren’t invincible. If you have noticed your Mac behaving strangely, or you just want to be sure your device is clean, maybe it’s time to shop around for antivirus for your Mac. Below you will find a review of anti-malware software Kaspersky for Mac based on 6 criteria: protection, effect on device’s performance, user interface, extra features, compatibility, and price. These are the most important criteria to take into account when choosing the right antivirus program for your Mac computer.
Kaspersky antivirus for Mac review
Kaspersky is one of the first programs to come to mind when talking about antivirus. Launched in 1997, the software now has more than 400 million users all over the world. Kaspersky Lab has also cooperated with international organizations like Interpol and Europol on various occasions. So if you’re looking for a highly reliable program to protect your Mac, Kaspersky is definitely a good option.
Kaspersky for Mac not only provides high-level security from all kinds of malware, but also adds an extra layer of security with its extra features. It will protect your data when you’re shopping online or using online banking, help keep your child safe from inappropriate content, protect your files, store your passwords, and help you browse more privately, as well as bypass geo-restricted content. Overall, Kaspersky for Mac isn’t just an antivirus program, it’s a security suite.
Kaspersky for Mac Pros & Cons
30-day free trial;
Important security features included in both subscription plans;
Great malware detection rates;
Minimal impact on system.
Full scan can take a while to complete;
May clash with other security programs you have installed.
- User interface won’t be to everyone’s taste
Kaspersky protection for Macs
Kaspersky for Mac is one of the best programs out there when it comes to protecting your device from malware. It has a huge malware database, which means it detects a large variety of malware. In addition to major threats like trojans, keyloggers and ransomware, Kaspersky also protects your Mac from less serious infections like browser hijackers, adware, spyware, and potentially unwanted programs (PUPs).
Kaspersky for Mac comes with real-time security, which will detect malware as it’s trying to get in, and prevent possibly severe damage.
Effect on device’s performance
When users think of antivirus, performance issues often come to mind. Because of how much resources antivirus processes use, computers often start lagging. This used to be an issue in the past, to the point that users would need to schedule scans at times when they are not using the computer. However, it’s not really an issue with most security programs nowadays.
When Kaspersky is running on your Mac, whether it’s idly monitoring your computer or actively scanning it for malware, you should not really notice. If you’re using an older Mac device, your fans might get loud but it shouldn’t disrupt your regular computer usage. Overall, Kaspersky for Mac should not affect your computer’s performance in a negative way.
Kaspersky for Mac is a pretty straightforward program, with a very clean design. It does not have an overly complicated user interface, which is very important for an antivirus program. The antivirus and extra features are clearly separated, so users can easily find what they need. You can easily schedule a scan, or launch a full or a quick one. You can also easily scan files and folders. The extra features are simple to use, so users will be able to set them up without trouble.
Overall, Kaspersky for Mac has a simple, user-friendly interface, and a clear design.
- VPN – Virtual Private Network (VPN) protects you and your privacy when you’re browsing the Internet. It will allow you to use public Wi-Fi securely, bypass geo-restrictions, and keep your communications private. The VPN is not included in any of the subscription plans, but comes as a separate program VPN Secure Connection. The free version gives you 200MB/day (300MB if you sign in to your Kaspersky account) and automatically selects the virtual location. If you want unlimited allowance and the ability to select the country, you will have to purchase Secure Connection for either €4.95/month or €28.95/year.
- Safe banking/shopping – Included in both the Internet Security and Total Security for Mac subscription plans, the safe banking/shopping feature adds extra layers of security when you’re using online banking or shopping online.
- Safe Kids – The safe kids feature is included in the Kaspersky Total Security for Mac, and it allows you to have more control over what your children see online. You can prevent access to inappropriate content, manage app downloads, and block the disclosure of personal information.
- Password manager – Included in the Kaspersky Total Security for Mac is a password manager. Password managers are handy tools that store your login credentials for various accounts, allowing you to have complex and secure passwords.
- File Protection – According to Kaspersky, file protection helps secure your photos, music and files on your Mac. This is a Kaspersky Total Security for Mac feature.
Kaspersky for Mac is compatible with macOS El Capitan, Sierra, High Sierra and Mojave.
Kaspersky offers two plans for Mac computers:
- Kaspersky Internet Security for Mac. Internet Security for Mac is the most basic subscription offer. For the price of €56.95/year, you get protection from malware (including ransomware), privacy protection, and secure banking/shopping. Even if this is the cheapest offer, it still provides the most important features and ensures sufficient security for your Mac.
- Kaspersky Total Security for Mac. Total Security for Mac provides ultimate security for Mac computers. For a price of €75.95/year, you get protection from malware (including ransomware), privacy protection, secure banking/shopping, parental controls, a password manager, and file protection. You can also choose how many devices you want to protect and for how long.
Both plans offer a 30-day free trial, which would let you test out the program.
Keep in mind that the auto renewal box will automatically be ticked when purchasing a subscription. That means that you will automatically be billed after a year. If you do not wish to have an auto renewable subscription, make sure you uncheck the auto renewal box when making a purchase. You can also cancel the subscription at any time in your account.
If you’re looking for a powerful program to keep your Mac safe, we would recommend considering Kaspersky for Mac. The program is highly reliable, performs great in various malware tests, comes with great extra features to enhance security, and isn’t the most expensive program out there. It might, however, not work very well with other security programs you have installed on your Mac device.
If you are considering using Kaspersky for your Mac’s security but aren’t completely sure yet, take advantage of the free 30-day trial. But with the level of protection provided by Kaspersky, we doubt you will want to uninstall it.